SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: What do you want to see in the new film? (Read 34365 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: What do you want to see in the new film?
Reply #75 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I tend to agree Deb.

As to the hardware, the biggest problem I can see would be Skydiver. The UFO Technical Manual describes the hull of Skydiver to be constructed of HY-100. This is a real alloy used in modern submarine construction. Like it's predecessor, HY-80, this material is very heavy. A Sky Jet made of HY-100 would not be able to get of the ground. Also HY-100 would not be able to withstand the pressure at Skydiver's max safe depth of 620 fathoms or 3720 feet. A titanium alloy might work, in addition to being very light at also is much stronger than HY-100. (And much more expensive.) The Russian Alfa clas submarines were constructed of titanium and they could dive to almost 4000 feet. I could suspend disbelief if the movie is well written.

But alas, I see the movie being a Foster/Lake fest with the two of them being romanticly involved. (You can shoot me now. Tongue) Although if they were to portray Ginny as a field agent rather than a scientist that pairing could work. In the show, I saw Lake at least five years older than Foster and just way out of his league. I didn't have a problem with Collins, he was an engineer. I could see them together.

One can always hope that we are surprised. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Undecided

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #76 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 3:38am
Print Post  
Ed Bishop. So since he's left us, I'm really not interested, but if I hear the movie was decent, I'll get it when it becomes a DVD.

If they have to replace Straker, (sigh) what about David Morse?

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

UFO the original and best!

Reply #77 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 1:24pm:
The sad thing is that Frakes is actually a very good director -- when he's working on a show he knows.  The episodes and movies of Star Trek he directed were fabulous!  So I agree with you, Claire.  Gerry's the man to do UFO.  Smiley 

That's right he is good when he knows the subject, hence GA should do UFO but the ptb's probably won't have him anywhere near it Sad

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #78 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Write Rat wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 3:38am:
Ed Bishop. So since he's left us, I'm really not interested, but if I hear the movie was decent, I'll get it when it becomes a DVD.

If they have to replace Straker, (sigh) what about David Morse?

Agree, Straker WAS Ed Bishiop so anyone else they get to play the character will never be as good imho - I know I'm biased but for me no-one will ever come close.  The rest of the cast poses a problem too as Vladek was Jackson, who can replace him?  sometimes wish they'd just leave well alone, but like Star Trek if it's done sympathetically it might be ok and i'll wait for a DVD release too.

Most remakes have been gargantuan flops, so I have to wait and see.

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #79 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Hi Claire and welcome.  Smiley

Now, for Straker in the movie this is an off the wall suggestion, but a few years ago - 4 or 5 years ago maybe, an actor called Rhys Ifans was interviewed on Jonathan Ross - it's a British chat show for those not familiar with UK tv.

He's not particularly famous - other than for being an item with Sienna Miller - and usually looks pretty tatty, unkempt even, when interviewed but on that particular night he looked very tidy and very Straker-ish. He has a Welsh accent but that gets sidelined when necessary so I don't see why an American accent would be a problem. I do see the fact he's not particularly well known - or American! - being one.

But I did think he could be a reasonable "Straker" in the spirit of the original providing the new film has a part for a Straker as the series portrayed - as opposed to a much older Straker as a desk-bound General, or whatever.

Not an interview to give a good idea of what I saw but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnt9I8qUDgw&feature=fvwrel

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #80 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Normandie wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:04pm:
Hi Claire and welcome.  Smiley

Now, for Straker in the movie this is an off the wall suggestion, but a few years ago - 4 or 5 years ago maybe, an actor called Rhys Ifans was interviewed on Jonathan Ross - it's a British chat show for those not familiar with UK tv.

He's not particularly famous - other than for being an item with Sienna Miller - and usually looks pretty tatty, unkempt even, when interviewed but on that particular night he looked very tidy and very Straker-ish. He has a Welsh accent but that gets sidelined when necessary so I don't see why an American accent would be a problem. I do see the fact he's not particularly well known - or American! - being one.

But I did think he could be a reasonable "Straker" in the spirit of the original providing the new film has a part for a Straker as the series portrayed - as opposed to a much older Straker as a desk-bound General, or whatever.

Not an interview to give a good idea of what I saw but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnt9I8qUDgw&feature=fvwrel

Rhys Ifans is a good actor, and yes he could do a passable Straker, he does scrub up quite well.  He was in an Australian comedy a while ago called Danny Deckchair and it was funny, he looked quite handsome in it.  I was surprised really because he usually looks so unkempt.  He has really deep eyes and I imagine if he did play the great man, his eyes would be as penetrating.  But really imho, no-one can ever do Straker as well as Ed did him; he was outstanding.  In Question of Priorities when he phones the hospital, he is almost crying, he is showing the audience that Straker is battling like mad to keep his emotions in check and it always makes me sad that scene and in Kill Straker where he really is smacking Foster around, that's why Mike Bilington looks so surprised.  Ed did that deliberately to get that reaction but didn't tell anyone he was going to do it until he did it.  Excellent craftsman and technician in the art of acting.  Don't get me wrong, anyone can play a role but they can never bring the character alive as Ed did.  He was unsurpassed, I know I'm biased but I really feel that Ed was the best in that role.  I know they replaced thim in Scarlet because of his age and the voice had deepend quite a lot since the early days when his voice was slightly higher and when I interviewed him.  That was so funny because I was terrified and he was so helpful, I wish he was still here I miss him so much, they broke the mould when they made him Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #81 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Claire,
Bishop reminded me very much of Patrick Stewart, in that both of them had never played lead roles until the one that would forever be linked to them in the public eye.  And yet they both carried off that lead role as if it had been written for them.  And somehow made it sexy -- surprising the producers, directors, and possibly themselves as well!  Grin

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #82 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
He has a Welsh accent but that gets sidelined when necessary so I don't see why an American accent would be a problem. I do see the fact he's not particularly well known - or American! - being one.

I watched the movie Avatar, and I was surprised to find out Sam Worthington is Australian. I never would have known it if I hadn't had the special Avatar DVD where he was speaking in his own voice. I certainly would like an unknown to portray Straker. Daniel Craig is a distinguished actor, but he seemed to come out of nowhere, and he in my opinion made the 007 role his own. He portrayed Bond closer to Ian Fleming's idea of the role. Sean Connery too, brought Bond alive. Ed Bishop himself could sound totally different, being his fan I had a lot of material he was in. I have an audio tape of him portraying John Kennedy, the late president. When I bought it, I played it, and I was thinking oh great, Bishop isn't even in it, and it said he is. Not until I listened to it more carefully did I realize he was playing Kennedy! He did it so well, he could have probably fooled Jacqueline Kennedy in a phone conversation.  Shocked  Bishop also has been Southern, in the movie Lords of Discipline. In several books on tape I own, he's done all kinds of accents and played all kinds of characters, including women, and in Breakheart Pass he sounds just like John Wayne.  Cheesy
So a good actor certainly would be able to make Straker work.

Ed Bishop truly was one of a kind. You know that scene in Priorities, if people were impressed by that, try to see his performance as Edward Banner in Highlander: Diplomatic Immunity. There are some screencaps of the episode on Marc Martin's UFO website. http://ufoseries.com/films/high.html

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #83 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Shocked Normandie, he looks like Straker's long lost son! Cheesy I can't play the video because we only have a Model T Ford modem, but look at him! them
This is better for comparisons.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #84 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Yeah, he might be able to pull it off. Most certainly a family resemblence there. Smiley

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #85 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Write Rat wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 12:38am:
Shocked Normandie, he looks like Straker's long lost son! Cheesy

He looks decidedly tatty in the video so you've not missed much but yes, that photo is about how he looked on the Jonathan Ross show and you've well-demonstrated why I looked at him and thought, OMG, a present-day Straker!

But I had no one with whom to share this profound insight at the time!  Cheesy Grin

ETA:
Matt wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 1:05am:
Yeah, he might be able to pull it off. Most certainly a family resemblence there. Smiley

Hmmmm. Now you've prompted a thought! Wonder where Ed Bishop was in late 1967... was he anywhere near Wales? <tongue-firmly-in-cheek>

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #86 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Write Rat wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 12:38am:
Shocked Normandie, he looks like Straker's long lost son! Cheesy I can't play the video because we only have a Model T Ford modem, but look at him! them
This is better for comparisons.

See how deep his eyes are, not the ice blue frost of the SHADO Commander but still deep and I would imagine they would make you squirm if he turned themon you as Straker.  If anyone gets the chance to see Danny Deckchair, Ifans is in that as the star and he does scrub up quite well, looks quite handsome and charming in it.

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #87 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I want this film to depict a S.H.A.D.O. that has all the advanced vehicles and bases. I do not want the premise reduced down to just an organization of personnel simply with a SHADO identification badge and no advanced vehicles...like the X-FILES Muldar and Scully with only F.B.I. identication badges. Too mundane.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #88 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Good to hear from you again Steve. We are still all holding our breath on the new movie, but I haven't seen much new stuff about it. Roll Eyes

With CGI they should be able to do some awsome special effects, I guess we'll see. Wink

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #89 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks Matt Wink, I am still thinking positive that this movie will get made eventually, as long as it is done right. I read on the net somewhere recently that Gerry Anderson has seen the script and was not happy with it. Maybe that is part of the delay for rewrites? Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Add Poll Send Topic