SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Question Of Priorities - Detailed Analyses (Read 21130 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: A Question Of Priorities - Detailed Analyses
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Good one, canon vs cannon. Minus two for spelling! I'm lost with out my spell checker! Wink

No I wouldn't let her break a cannon, but I would let her box Mary's ears! Grin

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Matt;
re; waiting for revenge

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

You may have to wait a long  time.. but keep looking over your shoulder!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
And it is very cold in space! Grin

(Love that line!) Cheesy

I'll bet waiting for the zinger I know is coming! :Smiley

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Hi,

actually I wished someone would go down that line with the UFO movie.

Take up one of the leads left us from the episodes (e.g. the alien guy who tried to collaborate with humans in QoP, why, who, how, who else?), set it some 10 years in our future, same team but aged with new additions and then have them a UFO-typical go at the problem, possibly better funded, possibly with a (logically) more advanced technology.

That would be a field day for all the Sci Fi realists among the screenwriters, for once having to deal with real nittygritty troubles of spacetravel without wormholes and warp drives to the rescue.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
I suspect the movie will correct some of the problems the series had on the technical side, I just hope the acting and plot do the series justice.

Q of P was not one of my favorite episodes but it did deal with the very human issue of command decisions and how taxing they can be.

A few writers have tackled the aftermath of this episode and how Ed delt with the loss of his son. To add to the tragedy the greater good wasn't even served as the alien was killed before SHADO could get to him, an observation I bring out in my story "Mission of Mercy" Cry.

It would be nice if the movie writers tie in with one of the better episodes like "The Wrath of Khan" was tied to "Space Seed" in Star Trek. Smiley

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Matt,

Quote:
It would be nice if the movie writers tie in with one of the better episodes like "The Wrath of Khan" was tied to "Space Seed" in Star Trek.

I actually consider QoP being one of the best UFO episodes.

Right up there - in comparison - with St TOS's "City on the Edge of Forever", "Space Seed", "Amok Time", "Journey to Babel" or "Trouble with the Tribbles".

It also is one of the few which gives a lead and was not only well written and incredibly well acted, but also a perfect example of the multidimensional writing of the series (which these days is so lacking in action movies).

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Guina,

I do agree it was well acted, I think the reason I don't consider it a favorite is due to Mary's behavior in the episode. She let her eight year old son run out into the street and get hit, and then blames Ed for it. Angry

I really felt for poor Ed in this one, he got the short end of the stick again. Sad

You did hit on a few of my TOS favorites! Wink

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Matt,

Quote:
I don't consider it a favorite is due to Mary's behavior in the episode.

I simply think Mary was and is a pretty daft chick, wherever she appears. Straker really must have had an incredibly soft spot for her and been on a veritable guilt trip regarding her and that failed marriage.

But well, unlike so many here, and as can be seen in Blazes, Straker isn't exactly the perfect male in my book and suffered from a couple of serious hang-ups in his private life which would explain his lenient and submissive behaviour towards Mary (I mean he really gives the flat-out carpet there, the way he asks pardon for having the boy half an hour longer. Tho of course British laws may be favoring the mother at the time). At least he did once sock her one (I'd have done that much earlier, at least verbally).  Wink

Anyway, Mary to me is a daft bird and hence she behaves like a daft bird, does say something about Straker's ability to choose his women, tho.

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Love is blind...

In some way, because she's the way she is, it makes Him more interesting and believable. We've all got friends and acquantances where we've seen their Significant Other and thought 'What on EARTH does (s)he see in that other person?'

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Hi Colin,

Quote:
'What on EARTH does (s)he see in that other person?'

Oh so right!

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
It would have been SO easy to write a perfect wife for Straker but she would have been so DULL

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Hi Colin,

going though the scripts I have only the funny feeling that the writers thought they were giving Straker a perfect wife.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Alba wrote on Sep 10th, 2010 at 5:02pm:
At least he did once sock her one (I'd have done that much earlier, at least verbally).  Wink

I don't know how the laws are in the UK but that slap would have landed him in jail for the night had it happened now in the States. The domestic violence laws have gotten very strict since about the beginning of the 1980's. Shocked

I had forgotten about that incident until I re-watched "Confetti Check A-OK" a while back.

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #28 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
She was hysterical - the shock was the only thing to bring her out of it

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
A slap... nothing here unless she reported him and even then probably nothing unless she was hurt. Shocked

However, you can drop a cigarette stub in the street and get arrested nowadays. Oh.. and absolutely NO smoking in the workplace!!! Wink

I need some air.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo