SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Question Of Priorities - Detailed Analyses (Read 21087 times)
Guina
Ex Member

A Question Of Priorities - Detailed Analyses
Sep 1st, 2010 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Hi,

okay - I make the first suggestion, let's everyone do a thorough analysis of this episode and post it here, and discuss our respective takes of this episode.

The analysis ought to include the behaviour of all present major characters (let's stay with those we get to see or spoken about again in the series), their possible motives, the impact this has on our PoV of these characters, what repercussions the episode has on their later "life", and of course, such small fry stuff as plot holes, aspects which are curious, etc.etc..

I know that this episode was cut/remodelled in some countries, so for convenience sake, let's stay with the British version as it was filmed and distributed (meaning including the fray between the former marital couple and including John's death).

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Re: A Question Of Priorities - Detailed Analyses
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Oaky.. but you would chose one of my least favourite episodes. Grin. although can I also suggest that anyone who eants to do a G.Litch script adaptation can do that as well? :Smiley

I'll start watching tonight! Wink
Gosh, it's good to be home and catching up again!

Only six years until retirement!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Hi K-k,

do check your inbox, please Smiley

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 7:00am
Print Post  
One thing I never understood was why Straker used a Mobile Transporter aircraft when he had access to Seagull X-Ray which could have zipped across the Atlantic in half the time

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
The only thing that made sense was Seagull X-ray was somewhere else in the world and at the time the mobile transporters were the only viable option. They were supersonic as well but not Mach 4.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I need to check for it again, but I think the Mobiles transporter already was at an airport within reach of that antibiotic.

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Sep 4th, 2010 at 2:06pm:
The only thing that made sense was Seagull X-ray was somewhere else in the world and at the time the mobile transporters were the only viable option. They were supersonic as well but not Mach 4.

I don't think they are supersonic; the engines look very much like Turbofans which are designed for efficiency at sub-sonic speeds.
A turbofan consists of a gas turbine which drives a large fan. Whilst some of the air passing through this fan passes into the turbine compressors, the bulk actually passes round the OUTSIDE of the engine, This air then joins the outside of the exhaust stream, both increasing the mass of air moved (and hence the thrust) but also acts to muffle the noise from the hot exhaust stream, thus quietening the aircraft.
The problem with designing engines to cope with supersonic flight is tha the airflow has to be slowed down to subsonic speeds otherwise it 'piles up in front of the primary engine fan, rather than passing through. To do that in the case of military aircraft and Concorde, a long inlet tunnel has to be placed in front of the fan which, with carefully-placed baffles, slows down the airflow.

Seagull X-Ray has the tunnel, the Mobile Transporters do not, therefore, although the Transporters can operate at high sub-Mach numbers, they cannot fly supersonically

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'll have to look and see but I'm pretty sure the show said they were supersonic even though the design of the aircraft doesn't support that idea.

Kind of like SID, it was supposed to be parked at the L5 libration point but it was only shown in low earth orbit. Go figure.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2010 at 11:09pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I looked at the transcript of the episode as well as reviewing the DVD. This looks like a case of where the writers didn't talk to the model makers. The transport left New York sometime between 19:30 and 20:00 with a scheduled arrival time of 23:30 in London. That's three and a half to four hours. To arrive in that time frame the aircraft would have to be traveling at supersonic speeds. Somebody should have told the model makers. Huh

Colin, that was an execellent decription of the operation of a turbofan engine! Spot on. Cool

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 5:28am
Print Post  
In my turn, I looked at my copy of 'the Completebook of UFO' which states that the C184 transporter  is capable ot transporting 10 tons of equipment and 100 men at high subsonic speeds.

Personally, I think that the 10 tons limit is a bit conservative, bearing in mind that a C5 can carry more than 70 tons

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Can I do this episode in 5 minute chunks..
or at least not all at once?
my brain can only cope with so much 'Mary''at once!! Sad

And it would be easier to give a detailed analysis...I'll start tomorrow.. found a laptop at work that had dvd player!!!! Grin

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I just received my copy of the UFO technical manual and the C184 is described as a subsonic transport. The payload in this book however is 75 tons! So I agree, 10 tons was conservative. Chris Bentley wrote this one along with Nick Foreman. You would think they would at least be able to maintain consistancey between the two publications.

What's a matter Louise, can't handle the screecher creature? Grin (big snigger)

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I ws going ot write  a reallly  really nasty reply.. but I won't. Roll Eyes

Actually  I don't like Qof P.   but it is easier to do a serious review in chunks, so that you can pick over the salient points more easily.
So I shall start tomorrow.. as long as I don't have any visitors at work befoire 9,30!

I'll see how far i get before there is a 'natural ' break in the story,! 

(I'll get you Matt.. just you wait!!) Angry

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Chicken! Cheesy (snigger, snigger) Wink

I had to spend a lot of time looking this one over when I wrote "Mission of Mercy" my companion story! I should have broke canon and let Ginny at Mary at the end of the story! Smiley

(I'm waiting!) Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2010 at 11:18pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
You'd let Ginny break a cannon? (Insert Pirate ship weapon here)

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo