SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fallen Heroes FDK (Read 26468 times)
Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: Fallen Heroes FDK
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Whew!  Roll Eyes Thanks.  Smiley

And you're right.  It is something she would have done once she thought it through and realized why Craig must be acting so badly.  That's why I thought it was in the episode.  But I never watch that one, so I didn't remember it exactly.

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Writing a shell around that episode in the form of Silver Star was a lot of work. I watched it so many times that I could almost qoute it word for word.

It has so many plot holes that it was almost impossible to fill them all. The biggest one was why Jackson didn't tell the Commander what he suspected. I simply have to just suspend disbelief and go with it. Explaining why it took so long to repair SID was both fun and practical. That worked out much better than I thought it would. Smiley

I'm getting on with Chapter 8 of Demons, we'll find out if Gay survived. Shocked :Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
She better have -- or someone's name is going to be mud!!!  >Sad

I agree.  It's an awful episode.  But there are great lines in it, mostly spoken by Ginny!  Wink  I finally got the quote page done for it, since I had to watch it anyway.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Okay Denise, it's time for a serious review, so here we go. Cheesy

Fallen Heroes
A review by Matthew White

I love the title; in fact the plural form has me wondering if Craig is the only one that shows up. And I do appreciate the dedication. Knowing how you initially felt about Ed and Virginia being paired up until you read my stories, kind of makes me believe that I did something right. How did that happen?

Chapter 1:
I love this technique, starting off with dialogue. I use it a lot, and it pulls the reader right into the story. I enjoyed reading Virginia’s point of view as Ed is, once again, being just about as difficult has he can be. And Ginny has finally had enough, and she let’s some of her anger show. Waspishly; it’s really great adverb that describes her to a tee when she’s angry. Also, a very good example of real world application of the technical aspects was displayed here. I researched the subject, and you are right on with the terminology.

And Ed loses his steam, smart man. He really doesn’t want to push her too much. I think you did a great job with Ginny’s inner thoughts. There is most certainly some unresolved sexual tension here. Her response was just as believable, just like Ed, she wants that UFO. And yes, she would be very upset with herself for losing her self control.

I really, I mean really liked Ed’s thoughts about Ginny after she left. I think you did a great job of peeling back the layers of a very complex woman. And I see this description as being true to the series. The warmth she had underneath was not obvious. You had to look for it.

In the next couple of paragraphs we find out that Ed has been thinking about her, a lot. It’s interesting that you mention his eventual self destruction as I saw him heading in the same direction, if something or someone did not intervene. By his thoughts, I assume that he has no idea how she feels about him.

The next bit was perfect, he’s dreaming about her and then see’s Craig when he wakes up and naturally he assumes that he is referring to Ginny when he say’s save her. True to form, he rushes to her aid, only to find out that she is just fine.

I think it’s fair to say that Ed would have rushed to her aid regardless, but the fact that he is now struggling with feeling towards her added to the urgency. I thought the comparison between Ed and Ginny worked well here, his rumpled and disheveled appearance to her immaculate façade was brilliant.

The next part was very emotional and you captured it well, the first steps towards a deeper understanding between them and a sharing of vulnerability and a shared concern for each other. This was very nicely done.

I'll put up the review for chapter: 2 when I finish it.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:12pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Wow!  Thanks, Matt!  I couldn't believe you were writing a review for a story that isn't even finished yet!  I knew you'd been waiting a long time for this one, but -- wow!   Shocked

You did indeed have a huge impact on the way I thought about the entire Straker/Lake combination.  I could never have written this story if not for your works.  I'm still not positive that I can get these two together, but I am very pleased with their dynamic in the story so far.  So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they decide, won't I?  Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #20 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Chapter 2:
So Ed spends most of the next day topside. I can see that, let’s face it. Virginia Lake is a force to be reckoned with. I loved the line about the bad western and his thoughts about Craig. Straker being Straker tries to analyze the situation. If it wasn’t Virginia who was in danger, then who was it. I could picture Ed asking the question aloud, assuming that he was alone. Of course Ginny, being Ginny tracks him down. I like the parallel here, Ed is trying to help and old friend, and Virginia is thinking along the same lines.

I liked Ginny’s affirmation of both respect and friendship here. When Ed asked her if she believed that he saw Craig, she simply accepts it without judgment. That fact that Ed didn’t know about Craig’s ex-wife but Ginny did, reads like reality to me. It contrasts the different dynamics between Ed and Craig verses Ginny and Craig. I too would have loved to see where that conversation would have gone.

Ed shows great sensitivity and strength of character when he asks Virginia if she would be able to research Craig’s ex-wife. It’s what made him the leader he was, a deep caring for each and every person under his command. And Ginny’s thoughts about him were spot on as well, truly a giant among men.

Of course Ed asks her if she would accompany him to the states. I see this as serving a dual purpose, first and foremost, they are helping and old and dear friend, and secondly, Ed wants her company.

Yes, I'm going to review it as it goes up. This is a new approach for me so we'll see how I do. I see that you've posted chapter: 3 so I'm off to read. Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #21 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 11:55pm:
Wow!  Thanks, Matt!  I couldn't believe you were writing a review for a story that isn't even finished yet!  I knew you'd been waiting a long time for this one, but -- wow!   Shocked

You did indeed have a huge impact on the way I thought about the entire Straker/Lake combination.  I could never have written this story if not for your works.  I'm still not positive that I can get these two together, but I am very pleased with their dynamic in the story so far.  So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they decide, won't I?  Wink

Somehow, I don't think that is going to be a problem, especially after reading chapter: 3.  Cry Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #22 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Did this chapter make you cry?  It did for me when I wrote it -- which is unusual.  But when I read it to my beta tester, I didn't even tear up.  So I wasn't sure of its impact.  Feedback, please!  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #23 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 12:26am
Print Post  
It was very emotional! I'll be posting the review a bit later, after I get the tears out of my eyes so I can write. Cry Smiley

What does your beta think of it so far? And was she shocked? Shocked

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #24 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 12:31am
Print Post  
She's really liking it.  She says that I'm not really writing Virginia any differently than I have in other stories.  But that we're getting to see a side of her that hasn't been revealed before (in my stories anyway.)  She's loving all the sexual tension and wanting me to stretch it as thin as it will go.  Wink  I wish I could say that I've got a handle on it, but I don't.  My two characters are doing what they do best, taking charge and taking things into their own hands.  So who knows what will happen next?  Shocked

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #25 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I agree with her, on both points. UST is best when it's stretched to the breaking point. Wink In Soul Mates it was six weeks although the story didn't cover most of that, I might show a tad more in the re-write. Not sure yet. Undecided We'll see what happens.

As I see it, Ed and Ginny have already taken the first steps, it's very subtle, but it's there. Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #26 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Chapter 3:
Great bit of conversation here, we get to see a bit of how they would complement each other as an item. Even though they aren’t at this point, they do seem comfortable together. Loved Ed’s comment, “I like it when you forget.” That was perfect. I also liked the levity about some of Craig’s escapades; it really helped the conversation along.

The conversation about Craig’s death brought me to tears, it was very emotional. I saw Ed and Ginny exchange some vulnerability here. It’s a very well written piece of conversation. I can very easily see Craig not mentioning his ex to Ed, yet telling Ginny. With Ed, it would be a non issue, but I can see Ginny caring about where Craig came from. I can see where no one at HQ would talk to either Ed or Ginny, about Craig. Using this aspect, as common ground between them, is a brilliant idea.

Ed placing his hand on hers, and calling her by name, was a very tender moment. If this takes place after Mindbender then it would have only been the second time. Once, in Timelash, after Ed had destroyed the incoming UFO, he knelt by her side and gently touched her hair. To me that is a very intimate gesture. There is a huge difference between intimacy and pure sexual attraction. And in this scene I see intimacy between them, especially the long gaze at each other at the end.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2011 at 7:17pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #27 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Did you catch it that he also called her by her first name when he touched her hand?  My beta tester didn't.

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #28 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 1:52am
Print Post  
The comments about no one taking about Craig after his death reminds me a bit of Wing Commander - in order for the living to protect themselves the dead never were. The people around Ed don't want to remind him of what he had to do, and they don't want to remind Ginny of what she had and lost. I suspect there may be a lot of not speaking of the dead around SHADO.

And the UST feels right on. Of course, on a 'civilian' mission, first names would be appropriate, but it's telling that Straker does finally use her first name during physical contact.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #29 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Yeah, I did, I forgot to mention it. Nice touch! Kiss I added it to the review. Wink

I always thought Ed avoided calling her by first name as self defense mechanisaim. He was afraid of where it may lead. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo