SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fallen Heroes FDK (Read 26451 times)
Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: Fallen Heroes FDK
Reply #60 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 3:38am
Print Post  
Hell, no!  But that's the fun of it!  Wink

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #61 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 4:06am
Print Post  
Chapter 7:
I found this part interesting with Virginia suddenly questioning herself about her objectivity. She was finally where she wanted to be and her analytical side is getting in the way. And Ed’s calm, “like nothing had happened demeanor,” she’d have hit him if not for noticing the way he was gripping his coffee cup. So back to business, for a bit, it seems like they always run back to familiar territory when things start getting hot. They did that to me in Absence.

I absolutely loved the next bit when Virginia corners him about not calling her by name. Ed’s response was sure to get him a backhand had he not told her why. That moment was sweet; I can picture her just coming unglued. And of course he leads her on a merry chase to figure out when he had called her by name. You played that well, as it’s quite likely that she wouldn’t have remembered the incident with Beaver. And the time on the plane might have slipped by her too. Nice touch having her replay the incident in her mind, I wonder where that idea came from? *grin*

Of course Ed doesn’t stop there, he keeps feeding her little bread crumbs about the second time. I can picture her saying, “Well, I’m just going to have to pay better attention in the future.” I see her feathers getting very ruffled now, especially her next statement. When Ed finally admitted that he loved her he almost blurted it out. But it worked well with her response. And Ginny has had enough, “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!” Right into his lap, I love it!
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2011 at 6:02pm by Matt »  

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #62 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 4:31am
Print Post  
The thing about both times he called her by name was that she really was distracted -- but mostly by him!  If you look at them, the first time with Beaver, she was counting on her commander to save her life, which he did.  Definitely not the time to be thinking about what he called her!  And the second time on the jet, he was telling her something powerful about her own feelings, which was bound to trump any incidental things like names.  And he touched her hand.  Notice that she did remember that! 

I've found that the mind can only process so much before it overloads.  So in really intense moments, some things are remembered crystal clear, while others are completely forgotten.  I'm sure there's a medical term for it, but I didn't bother to look it up, since the term itself wasn't needed for this story.  Just the situation.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #63 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 4:40am
Print Post  
Yeah, it works well for the story. You've really got an interesting dynamic going on between these two. Most certainly outside the box! Cheesy

Awesome! Smiley

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #64 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Erratic memory is one sign of extreme stress and PTSD - people remember things that never actually happened, don't register things that did happen. They may not hear things, see things - and this is normal.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #65 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 4:45am:
Erratic memory is one sign of extreme stress and PTSD - people remember things that never actually happened, don't register things that did happen. They may not hear things, see things - and this is normal.

Normal for the condition, yeah. I was formally diagnosed with it, and it really screws your mind up.Remember, Virginia believed she was about to die. (Same thing in Timelash, when she was being strangled) She may have heard Straker's command, but not her name, as Deborah suggested. Straker was fond of her. Lake not Deborah  Wink Whether they'd have an affair, I don't know. In this situation Denise has skillfully set up, I know.  Grin  It always bugs me when Lake is put across as a sex pot. She is a career officer, no different than Straker but people pigeon hole her faster. Sex is a pleasure and a human need, only people with narrow minds would think she was slutty because she's slept with Collins and Foster. Alec is portrayed as a ladies' man, but he isn't generally portrayed without morals, better described as common sense. Lake is an independent woman. She isn't always intimidated by Straker. We see that in Timelash, where she teases Straker. How many people could get away with that? No. Straker favors her. I liked her because she was vulnerable under the skin of the scientist/colonel. She wasn't the Paris Hilton of SHADO. (Okay, the hairstyle was questionable  Grin )

As always, Denise, really nice, fun dialogue, light, fast style, well chosen words, you do romance so well, your passion for it comes forth in your material, mostly I agree with the Straker depiction, I didn't enjoy many of your stories but that was solely my feeling that Straker's clash with the press would keep him away from becoming an actor. Mind you, that's just my feeling for the canon. I said before, it's personal interpretation.  Although in your across-the-eras stories he has more women than you see in the Victoria's Secret catalogues  Grin  Denise, there's no end of possible eras for you. I'd like to see Straker in Victorian London  Cheesy   or did you already do it?  Grin 
I like Lake and Straker as a couple, but a permanent relationship? I'm not sure, I think some part of Straker would be mindful that she had any independent woman's love life, and I see him as consciously or unconsciously conservative in matters like that.
I definitely do not see Collins the way you do, and I plan to use Collins in a story. Shocked I always couldn't figure out how Straker could pal around with him during training.Opposites attract, I suppose. I don't think Collins respected him. But that might be my PTSS  Cheesy

Oh, when they interrupt Straker and Lake, that reminded me of the complimentary champagne scene in Confetti Check, and maybe you could have Straker remember that, and reflect on how Lake is so dramatically different than Mary, and how he had allowed himself to let love blind him in that situation. Lake is a plain speaker, which I felt would appeal to Straker. How Virginia is in his face, the way Alec is, when they believe he's wrong.  Only if you like that idea.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #66 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Actually, Amelia, I was thinking of that scene in CCAOK when I wrote mine.  Great minds and all that. *grin*  But I didn't want Mary intruding into their moment.  And I tend to keep angst at a minimum -- I hate wallowing!  Roll Eyes

Personally, I could never see these two getting together.  I've never thought that Straker would do well with someone so much like himself: driven, focused, and brilliant.  I've known several scientists over the years, and that kind of match always strikes me as sad.  That said, if I was going to try this pairing, I was going to make it work, although even I didn't expect quite what I got!  I may have been influenced (a bit) by my daughter's relationship with her boyfriend.  They're like two peas in a pod!  Brilliant, dedicated, and serious.  But when they're together?  They're constantly making each other laugh!  It blows my mind.  I've never seen my daughter act this way -- and I raised her!  Shocked

I didn't have a good opinion of Lake when I saw the series.  Even in my teens, I saw far more about people than was good for me, and I knew what I thought about women who went after men in power.  It's only been since I began writing my stories that I've come to see her in a mellower light.  And to understand more the difficulties involved with intimate relationships at that level.  Even so, it's taken Matt over a year to convince me that there is anything to work with where these two are concerned.  I agree with you.  Straker's far too fastidious to go for anyone who sleeps around.  The trick was how to show her in a different light without totally violating what the series showed.  I think I managed it -- barely -- but it was tough.  Especially since the writers really portrayed her in a bad light (probably thinking that they were making her an independent woman!)  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Anyway, thanks for the kind comments!  I know how the story ends, at least with regard to Mags.  But Straker and Lake?  I'm not sure how they're going to resolve things.  I guess I'll have to wait and see with everyone else.   Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #67 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Amelia wrote: "I'd like to see Straker in Victorian London     or did you already do it?"

No.  Someone else and I were discussing such time travel possibilities once, but I thought that the Victorian era didn't give me enough range for fun with Straker.  I really liked him in the Georgian era!  Ooh-la-la!  All that hair!  But then, I've studied the Regency and Georgian eras a lot.  Not so much the Victorian.  But perhaps a Steampunk Straker might be fun!  Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #68 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It always bugs me when Lake is put across as a sex pot. She is a career officer, no different than Straker but people pigeon hole her faster.

That is so true, just read Chris Bently's book, you see that! Shocked I was raised quite strict, in my world view people didn't sleep around before marriage. Of course that was forty years ago, times have changed.

But even with that in mind I never assumed that Virginia was sleeping around just because she happened to have dated these two men in TMWCB. Let's face it beautiful ladies don't have to stay home on Saturday night. *grin* The writer's really screwed her over did her an injustice with that one episode, I don't think they knew what to do with her, and that's too bad because her character has so much potential.

Because it was my intention to pair Ed and Ginny in Soul Mates I had to shed that episode in a different light, and that wasn't easy. My story Silver Star had two major objectives, remain true to the episode, and the series, and cast Ginny in a different light. I do agree Amelia, had Ginny slept with both Craig and Paul, Ed would not have gotten involved with her. Ed is too straight laced for that. But I think I managed to accomplish what I had set out to do. Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #69 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Matt,
It was your story that finally made me see that she could get around the damage the writers did to her.  They were just so short-sighted.  If they'd had a woman writer on staff, perhaps she would have been shown better.  Women are quite aware that you don't have to sleep around in order to be independent.  Sex has nothing to do with it.  It's all about attitude.  Even married, a smart woman never loses her independence.  Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #70 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 2:31pm:
Sex has nothing to do with it.  It's all about attitude.  Even married, a smart woman never loses her independence.  Wink

Hear, hear! Cheesy Hey the lady had to have someone defend her honor! Cheesy Kiss

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #71 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Normal for the condition,

Actually, it's normal, period. Even for people who never develop PTSD. Cops involved in deadly situations frequently report things like not hearing their partners yelling at them or not hearing the gunshots or miscounting the gunshots, or seeing someone shot only to later find out that person was fine. Fire personnel report similar things. The brain is just so overwhelmed that only their training keeps them going.

That's why - in a well run police department - there are incident debriefings for officers involved in deadly situations - so they can get a handle on what they saw and felt, as well as what other officers saw and felt. And to be assured that what they saw and felt is pefectly normal.

In Lake's case, she's gone through SHADO training so she's better prepared than a civilian, but survival (hers and Straker's) is the foremost thing on her mind. Chances are she wouldn't have registered alarms going off around her. Straker might not register them either - he might not actually remember how many shots he fired or had a momentary flash that he'd shot Lake instead.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #72 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
You are absolultely right Deb, it happened on the fireground as well. When I was a volunteer on Pascoag, many years ago, we had a rash of mill fires and we had a couple of guys get hurt pretty bad when a ladder fell. The debriefing afterwards showed significant differences between the members as to what happened that night. Sometimes things just happen so fast that you don't take it all in. Undecided

Scary stuff! Shocked

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #73 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
That's why the on-going training is so important - the body does what its trained to do - climb the ladder, shoot the bad guy - while the brain is still trying to process everything. And that's why it's so important that the people involved in things like that be assured that what went on the them was normal.

But it's also one of the reasons that eye-witness testimony after a high stress situation should never be relied on - it's not reliableShocked

I assume that since there was an incident debriefing after the accident, everyone came out without too many problems. (Well, aside from the guys who fell and I hope they survived and recovered as well.)

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #74 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Yes they did recover, it was a freak accident. The investigation board determined that equipment failure had caused the accident and as a result, the remaining ladders on that truck were taken out of service, even though they passed an inspection after the fact. To quote Chief Osborne, "We can replace the ladders, but I can't replace my men." He was a wise and kindly teacher. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo