SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fallen Heroes FDK (Read 26387 times)
Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: Fallen Heroes FDK
Reply #75 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
My first exposure to the situation was in Sociology class.  Our teacher showed us a silly film about a purse snatching that ran less than three minutes.  Then we all had to write down what happened.  None of us got it right!  When we rewatched the film, I was so surprised that the one man's umbrella wasn't yellow!  It was a revelation in the way your own mind can fool you that I never forgot.

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #76 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I envy people who can look at a person and remember their complete description afterwards. I wanna be both Jeremy Brent's and Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlocks. Cool

About a Gibbs-Straker meeting, Starbucks would love that, can you imagine the coffee consumption? Not only that, fly guy and marine, the sparks would fly. I watch Gibbs occasionally, my husband always asks how does Abby see anything with those bangs?  Grin

I did a CSI crossover for a few stories, the research just about killed me  Shocked

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #77 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
The PTSS would make it more difficult, but yes I agree, the body works when the mind doesn't. The training is essential for survival. Straker wasn't so smart about stepping out and making himself a target, hoping Beaver would recognize his authority, and nearly becoming a sponge in the process (in his thinking, since the gun was harmless) Poor Ginny, perils of Pauline.  Wink
And speaking of Straker, he really needs a refresher course in judo (Reflections) Thank Goddess he was able to kill the Foster clone (crushed his trachea maybe?) and knock out the other guy. I cringe when I watch Reflections.  Shocked I think he may have tremendous strength in the hands. He does in my canon  Wink he whacks Alec's hand on the chair grip

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #78 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Straker wasn't so smart about stepping out and making himself a target, hoping Beaver would recognize his authority, and nearly becoming a sponge in the process (in his thinking, since the gun was harmless) Poor Ginny, perils of Pauline.

If I remember, at that point point Beaver still had a couple of rounds left in the pistol. Some semiauto's will have the slide lock open when the last round is expened but the pistol that Beaver was holding on Ginny probably did do that, being a newfangled weapon and all. It's a good thing Ed has cat like reflexes or he would have been swiss cheese for the mice! Cheesy

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #79 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 2:31pm:
Matt,
It was your story that finally made me see that she could get around the damage the writers did to her.  They were just so short-sighted.  If they'd had a woman writer on staff, perhaps she would have been shown better.  Women are quite aware that you don't have to sleep around in order to be independent.  Sex has nothing to do with it.  It's all about attitude.  Even married, a smart woman never loses her independence.  Wink

I didn't mean to suggest she didn't. It's a personal choice. I have very little independence in my relationship with Mr. Metaphor, but that suits me, and it suits him. On the other hand, a woman's sex life is often questioned while a man's is not. It irks me. In a ladylike way, of course.  Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #80 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Double standard, it still exsits today, and I agree, it's not fair! Angry Maybe one of these days we'll all get beyond that and the thought or question will never even be raised. Wink

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #81 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It's a good thing Ed has cat like reflexes or he would have been swiss cheese for the mice! Cheesy

swiss cheese for the dire rat  Grin

Ed Bishop really was the one who suggested Wanda be the second-in-command. He supported woman's lib aka common sense. Of course he was in sleazy movies that mocked woman's lib, but he had kids and needed to put food on the table. Pets was a film he took off his CV (resume) because of what they'd done to it after he shot his lines. I also had private conversations with Helen about how he felt about Pets. Sigh, he's such a loss to both his craft, and humanity.
He clearly enjoyed Wanda, and Straker clearly trusted Lake. (Between telling her to put castor oil in the computer ) Grin
Is it Reflections where she's on the sub and telling them to go deeper, and the captain looks grumpy? She gives that cute crooked smile.  Kiss  I'll say it again, I like Lake, and I can see her with Straker. She has Alec's heart.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #82 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Sure, Matt.  Sounds similar to Straker's statement to Lt. Bradley after Paul's disappearance.  You know the one, about racism no longer being an issue in the 80's?  Smiley
Sorry.  You were saying?

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #83 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Write Rat wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:11pm:
Is it Reflections where she's on the sub and telling them to go deeper, and the captain looks grumpy? She gives that cute crooked smile.  Kiss 

Nope.  It's Destruction.  Excellent episode!  Cool

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #84 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:03pm:
Double standard, it still exsits today, and I agree, it's not fair! >Sad Maybe one of these days we'll all get beyond that and the thought or question will never even be raised. Wink

I think it's Jung that said humans have two sides, masculine feminine, aminus and amina.(providing I remember my  college courses in psychology, which given my age, 59, I may not  Grin ) I hope so, Matt. I hope some day we can look at one another and see human beings, period. For example, not their intellect, or our interpretation and inability to see the whole. Hell, I am dumb in many areas, but I have an advantage in that I am eternally curious. I love to learn.

Lake always reminds me of Lauren Becall with that voice of hers.  Kiss

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #85 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is it Reflections where she's on the sub and telling them to go deeper, and the captain looks grumpy? She gives that cute crooked smile.    I'll say it again, I like Lake, and I can see her with Straker. She has Alec's heart.

That was in Destruction. I loved her quirky little grin.

Considering that she was in only eight episodes as Straker's second, she did awesome. Had she been in the mix from the beginning and had the writers developed her character better, she and Ed would have resonated loud and clear. I'm stealing borrowing Denise's term here. Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #86 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:14pm:
Sure, Matt.  Sounds similar to Straker's statement to Lt. Bradley after Paul's disappearance.  You know the one, about racism no longer being an issue in the 80's?  Smiley
Sorry.  You were saying?

That is probably why aliens haven't landed here, they take one look at our sorry butts and just laugh, Grin or cry. Cry

Quote:
I hope so, Matt. I hope some day we can look at one another and see human beings, period.

Maybe one day? :Smiley

"How many times must the cannon balls fly, before they're forever banned?"

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #87 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:14pm:
Sorry.  You were saying?

Hey, Denise, you're the one who says we can look at the stars  Grin We can dream, can't we? We've come a long way, and have a long way to go, sure.  Smiley Racism in my husband's opinion is about species' need to be better than someone else. Race war, class war, religious war, Ad nauseam.
With a side of  Roll Eyes 
  Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #88 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Amelia said: "We can dream, can't we?"

Hell, yes!  Smiley  In fact, it's the dreamers who change the world (see Arthur O'Shaughnessy's poem).  Gene Roddenberry's vision of a future without race or gender distinction changed an entire generation -- mine.  Let's hope our children keep up the good work and don't regress into the foolishness of our ancestors.

(My uncontrollable laughter was because I remember the 80's, and Straker was dead wrong!)

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #89 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 5:52am
Print Post  
Straker was wrong, (or technically Gerry A. was wrong) but remember, our president is half African american.  Smiley I'm waiting for a woman in the White House. Speaking of that, Geraldine Ferraro just died recently. I got to meet her  up close and personal because I happened to be with my college counselor when Geraldine was speaking at the college. Really warm lady.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo