SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FDK - Beaver James (Read 7921 times)
Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: FDK - Beaver James
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 8:11am
Print Post  
I really enjoyed reading that, Matt.  Cool

Reading the subsequent discussion, it occurs to me that it might lend itself to a trilogy of POVs - Beaver's - expanded or not as thought necessary - Virginia's and Straker's all exploring a back story that might be centred around Beaver's or might be centred around whatever is preoccupying each of them at that moment.

Straker's preoccupation is sure to be what happened on Moonbase, Beaver's as above and Ginny's... what might she have been focussed on as she came out of the lift? Then their points of view would coalesce. Or even include a subsidiary character like Cooper - the "attitude" that he seems to give Beaver might have a story attached but what is in Cooper's head (good or bad!) might be quite different to what Beaver perceives. If you see what I mean.

Anyway, it was nice to get a minor character's role fleshed out a bit. Nicely done.  Smiley

Erm - as I don't write, I know I can't set challenges but has anyone ever set out to write a sympathetic "in the mind of" for Rutland? Always in the shadow (snigger) of The Husband Who Went Before Him, always seeing the father in John, perhaps John indicating that Rutland can never match up to Dad. Then watching Mary take special care with her makeup and dress on the weekends she will see Straker when he collects / drops John off.

So much potential to completely re-write a much maligned character.

Grin Grin Grin

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Now there's a plot idea!  Normandie, are you sure you can't write?  You can certainly imagine -- and that's half the battle!  Wink

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
That's a brilliant idea Normandie! Wink I agree with Denise. If you ever want to try your hand but are afraid to put your first draft out, I would certainly be willing to look it over for you, and I'm sure there are others here that would do the same thing. Smiley

And who says a reader can't issue a challenge? :Smiley What do you think Deb? Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2011 at 8:05pm by Matt »  

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Believe it or not, the next challenge was going to be: take a minor character and tell us his/her story. Rutland would make a perfect character for this sort of expansion. (Then there's the bomb squad guys, the divers sent down to rescue Straker from Sky-Diver... Roll Eyes )

And not all of us paint Rutland badly - Midsummer's Eve  Cool

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I didn't paint him badly in my story Full Circle.  A bit dull, perhaps, but very devoted.  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Beaver James:
My thoughts:

This was a story I wrote on my lunch hour almost a year ago. A fellow fanfic writer had started a One Hour Only theme. The idea was to write a short story of a thousand words, give or take, covering a one hour segment in the life of the character.

I thought it would be interesting to see the events unfold strictly from Beaver’s perspective. My first attempt at this story was done in third person but I had been contemplating a rewrite written in first person POV for some time. When I finally got to it I found that it needed more than just changing pronouns. I reworded some passages and added more of Beaver’s thoughts about his comrades. I even gave him a real name. That was fun; as my name for him was partially a play on the show Leave it to Beaver.

As the reader gets to the point where Beaver is affected by the mindbender effect caused by the alien rock, they no longer hear or see SHADO personnel. Just like Beaver they hear and see aliens. I decided to have Beaver freed from the effect of the rock when Foster mortally wounds him. I wanted his last thoughts to redeem him and add what little comfort I could to a very tragic moment. Lake had greeted Beaver earlier in the episode and I felt as if there might be something between them, not romantic but maybe an unseen act of kindness. Maybe he held a door for her one day, or she brought him a coffee to save him a walk to the mess hall. His feeling of remorse for putting Virginia in danger was to let the reader know that Beaver became himself before he died.

I’d like to thank everyone who commented on this, I see some brilliant ideas here and I’d be glad to share to concept if someone wants to have a go at it.

Matt

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #21 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Someone new to read!

If you like mysteries in a small English village, police procedurals, try Caroline Graham's Inspector Barnaby novels. They made a TV series from her stuff. I was watching one of the episodes last night to relax. Barnaby's partner is Troy, and oh god he's funny! He's a great policeman but his personality is so much fun. Think a blend of Paul Foster and Casanova but in his own head.  Grin 
Barnaby's a family man with a genius for solving the murder mysteries, he's also on a diet, (I feel his pain, I am too ) great sense of humor, and he barely tolerates Troy. Troy fancies that HE is the great one in the partnership Cheesy
In one scene Troy is suggesting that if a reporter goes out with him, she will get inside information on the murder Barnaby's investigating. She informs him he said that before, he did the same thing previously then dumped her, and she tells him where he can go with his 'inside information'  Grin
Troy's lovable but totally clueless, pun intended!

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Amelia!  But since I'm always on the lookout for new and fun murder mysteries to watch, I added them to my Netflix queue.  If I love them, I'll check out the novels as well.  Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #23 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I really like your revision now Matt, it makes Beaver truly come alive, a real person and adds to what we really know about him from the scene.  I thought the name Beaver might have been his nickname in the service. In the brief time I was in the U.S. Air Force reserves, out at the Travis air base, people tended to use only your last name or a nickname you'd be stuck with. Because of a serious health problem I wasn't able to stay long enough to have the questionable experience of being given a nickname.  Grin

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #24 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If I love them, I'll check out the novels as well.  Thanks!  Smiley

I do the opposite sometimes, I read the books and then find the movies. I've been reading the Agatha Christie Poirot novels, and the Benson 007 novels, and some writing books I bought. There's a bookshop called Half Price Books near me in Berkeley, they buy used books and magazines. So I buy new stuff and sell old stuff to keep my reading fix going. A Borders bookshop in Emeryville is closing and marked down books, so I gobbled up what I wanted, got some nice  new journals too. I love books, paper, pens and journals, so does my husband. He used to keep a journal, and when he didn't have it with him, he'd record our adventures on anything handy, like napkins!  Cheesy  I'm trying to get him to keep a journal again.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I have to say, I really like the idea of writing this story from three points of view, Beaver's, Virginia's, and Ed's. One down two to go. Maybe I'll get back to it once I finish the two stories I'm working now. I really need to get my muse to stay focued. Roll Eyes

Thanks to everyone for their comments and support! Kiss Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 2:19am
Print Post  
I once wrote a poem titled "Aesthetics" that spoke of my excitement at the start of a school year when I got all new pens and pencils and paper!  Cheesy  So I definitely understand the thrill!  I keep a journal too, and have for several years.  Sometimes it's the only way I can remember when things happened to go back and read the date!  I'm really sad with the whole long term memory thing.  A leftover from my childhood when I tried to forget certain painful things (and ended up forgetting everything!)  Yeah.  Selective memory doesn't work!  Roll Eyes  It must be really nice to have a bookstore handy.  The drawback of living in a rural community is no bookstores for miles and miles!  It's a good thing I have a large library in my home, or I'd go bonkers!  Cheesy  (Well, more than I already am, of course.)  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo